Saturday, March 10, 2007

One ID One Password

Currently I have a username and password for every web application that I use. I have one for my bank, email, ebay, Amazon, blackboard, and even this blogspot. My identity on the web is unverifiable and linear. They don't really know who I am just information that I provide them that can not be verified. I go from site to site filling out registrations providing them with my information and then they track my purchases, my likes, and what I'm reading. But that data is their data, I can't take take with me anywhere. I can't take my Amazon favorites over to Barnes & Nobles for help with buying books. With One ID I can tell both Barnes & Nobles and Amazon about my favorite books and music that I enjoy.

It would be nice if I could take my ID with me from site to site and the sites can use my ID to verify who i am and provide me a service. Much like the same way when I go and try to purchase a beverage of my choice when ID is required. I show my ID they verify my age and give me what I want or I could choose not to give them my ID and not receive their product.

My trend prediction is that the new web will bring One ID and One password to be used while I surf the web. Companies like Sxip and OpenID are trying to emerge as developers of online identity. If my prediction comes true there will be new opportunities for web page designer to develop web pages. Understanding standing security and web page codes will be good skills to have. Knowing how these IDs can be secured and gaining the public's trust will be a must.

No comments: